ENCOUNTER

Read every word, and no one gets hurt.

Friday, October 08, 2004

Peer Pressure

Forget all my former warnings against the evils of peer pressure. Peer pressure is why I'm writing this now.

Actually, I might temper that, instead labeling it "peer influence" or "peer-induced curiosity". But call it what you will - the simple truth is I am only doing this because people I know are also doing it. My brother's doing it, several of my friends are doing it... But Mom, everybody's doing it! I might as well join in on the fun.

Where the fun is in all this I have yet to discover. Right now I've just randomly selected a template for the site (I guess I was in a pink mood) and arbitrarily named it. For a couple years I've said that if I ever have my own youth group, I'm naming it "Encounter". I think it has a lot of potential and could be used in a whole bunch of ways. You encounter Christ at salvation, encounter the Holy Spirit in worship, encounter each other in relationships, encounter the world and help the world encounter Christ. I like it. But anyway, a youth ministry is the last (and only) thing I've ever thought of naming, so it was the only thing that came to mind when I found I had to have a name for this thing right away.

Keep in mind here, this is completely random. I'm sleepy, I'm playing Spider Solitaire, and suddenly I decide to do this. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because I often write in a small black leather book (uh... journal) and nobody ever reads that but me. That is, I hope nobody ever reads that but me. And sometimes, one does desire a slightly bigger audience. So maybe I'll even give the address to a friend or relative or two, and let my thoughts be heard by the masses. Er... you know what I mean.

So who knows? This could be the first entry of many. Or it could be a miserably unsuccessful attempt to be like everybody else. Only, I don't actually want to be like everybody else. I'm simply curious as to why everyone else seems to be doing this. Maybe I'll find it's therapeutic. Or maybe I'll find that it's just like so many other things that aren't all they're cracked up to be (like the majority of movies people tell me I just have to see.) I guess we'll see. Make that "I'll see." There isn't a "we" yet, is there? Not until you're reading this, which I'm sure is long after 10-8-04.

Anyway, thanks, oh ye peers who have pressured me. We'll see if anything good comes of it.


3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long after Oct'04, eh? I guess I am only 1/2 year behind...

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mindy, nice blog site. Seems everybody has one of these blog sites except me. Even my sister has one, but she just likes to complain about everything....and I really mean everything. You know, the world sucks, etc...lol. She started it after her boyfriend dumped her. Originally I started out searching websites looking for mp3 music sharing related info to improve the traffic at my site http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com; then I decided to try blog sites. There are so many of them it's unbelievable. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks Mindy, Mike

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindy. Some of these blog sites have more info on them than the regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody has one but me. Anyway, I'm trying to improve the traffic flow to my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use but got sidetracked again. Back to my search. Had fun though. Thanks Mindy, Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home