ENCOUNTER

Read every word, and no one gets hurt.

Monday, October 11, 2004

The Sparkle

No matter how dark things may seem, there's usually a glint of light somewhere. A flicker is all that's needed to reassure you that the sun is still shining, even if you can't see it. And if you've got something that glows a bit... you can make it through the longest of tunnels.

I've got much more than a flicker or a glow. I've got something that sparkles. And even though much of what surrounds my life in this season is shadowy and vague, this one thing flings tiny, brilliant flecks of light in my eyes.

It's almost silly, really. It's just a kid. Every Monday night I tutor an 11-year-old named Elkin. We work on math facts and read stories, sounding out the words that are hard for his Spanish-speaking tongue. We look up Bible verses together and find out exactly what happened to Adam and Eve. We stick stickers on his attendance chart and eat snack. Such simple, ordinary things. But there's a sparkle there. It's in his eyes when he asks for his favorite story. It's in his grin when he beats me at a math game. It's all over his face when he recites a verse by heart.

I guess it isn't just Elkin. The room lights up with the glow of a whole bunch of kids. I get to teach them every week... teach them things that will change their lives forever. I see their faces beam as they understand for the first time where everything came from, and why they need a Savior. I see them bow their heads in prayer and I see the light in their eyes after they give their hearts to their Creator. I see every glint, every flicker, every sparkle. And I know exactly how they feel. Because I sparkle, too. Just like they twinkle and shine for me, I think I light up a little bit of their night, as well. We're like a bunch of mirrors facing each other, reflecting tiny dots of light for infinity into the distance.

I guess it isn't about me, or Elkin, the rest of the kids, or even about all of us together. What sparkles isn't me or him or them - it's Him. "Walk in the light," He says. And "you are the light of the world." I guess when we're doing what He wants, the door cracks open and the light peeks out.

But I like "sparkle" better. :)


3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story captures the heart of this tutor as well, great job Mindy! Keep writting! ~Candi~

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your ability to capture the heart of 1 x 1. I wish I could publish this in our Update! My heart is warmed.
Love, Mom

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Mindy! Your mom just directed me to your blog, particularly this post. Awesome! I'm impressed with your writing. Have you ever thought about writing a book? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home