ENCOUNTER

Read every word, and no one gets hurt.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

My Idea

Last June, I went to Vietnam. I'm trying to find words that aren't cliche to describe what that trip was like. I want to say "words cannot describe..." but that's so overused. I want to talk about how it "changed my life," even though just about everyone who goes on a missions trip says that when they return, and really, for how many is it actually true? I want to tell you all about how it "opened my eyes" to so many things I'd never seen before, but again, so many people say that.

I returned from Vietnam on July 3rd. The very next day I celebrated American freedom with a patriotic service and our traditional family outing to Excelsior to hear the the Minnesota Orchestra and watch the fireworks. And the day after that... life took off again. Every night as I fell asleep, I promised myself I would start writing about the trip... tomorrow. Days became weeks, and weeks months. And here I am a solid 5 months later, with not one word written about this incredible experience. (Well, I take that back. I think I did write one journal entry about the elephant I saw in Thailand, but that doesn't count.)

So my idea is this: to write about Vietnam in a series of posts on this blog. My reasons are these: first, typing is faster than pen-and-journal; second, if some of you get interested in my stories, and I quit, you might complain, and that would help me to continue writing. And I really want to get these stories out. I've said them several times, but not for several months, so it may take several attempts to get them all out accurately. So please bear with me.

I promise it will be worth it, at least to me, but probably to you, as well. Because (I might as well come right out and say it) words really can't describe how amazing this trip was, and it really did change my life. It honestly opened my eyes to a world I had never before encountered. And I never want to forget why.

So stay tuned. Vietnam Chapter 1 is on its way.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Hi. My name is Mindy, and I'm posting a comment on my own blog! Because... you don't! So please, in the future, post any comments you may have on this lovely pink website, so that I know I am not shouting into a dark, empty abyss. (Jeremy, you are the exception to this exhortation - you already comment, thank you kindly.) Thanks, friends!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Okay, so I finally logged on to your blog and am totally impressed. You've almost moved me to tears now and again up until this point and I'm expecting to be nudged closer and closer to needing the kleenex box. You have a gift, my dear, and I'm glad you are using it.
Mother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home